List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Phillips Date:October 3 2009 9:52pm
Subject:Re: Questions on Database Design
View as plain text
On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM, John Meyer <john.l.meyer@stripped> wrote:

> Mark Phillips wrote:
>
>> I am new at database design, and my question relates to the trade-offs
>> between putting all data in one database or several for mysql. For
>> example,
>> say I have an application where a users login from their mobile phones and
>> read/write data to a database. Say there are roughly 10-15 tables in the
>> database and each user will add approximately 20,000 records per year.
>> Each
>> user should not have access to data from another user. Users have to
>> register in some way to create their database in the first place. When
>> does
>> it make sense to give each user their own database versus putting all the
>> data into one database (ie one set of tables) and with multiple userIDs?
>> 10
>> users? 1,000 users? Never?
>>

> It's not so much how many users you have (though that may be a question of
> data storage more than databases) as to what are they doing?  Are the
> actions related?  If they are, then have one database with each user having
> access to their records and their records only, which can easily be done
> with terms of database security..

John,
Thanks. The data is private to each user; there is no sharing of data. I am
not sure what you mean by "are the actions related" Each user is
reading/writing independently of each other. Would that argue for separate
databases?

Mark

Thread
Questions on Database DesignMark Phillips3 Oct
  • Re: Questions on Database DesignJohn Meyer3 Oct
    • Re: Questions on Database DesignMark Phillips3 Oct
      • Re: Questions on Database DesignJohn Meyer4 Oct
        • Re: Questions on Database DesignMark Phillips4 Oct
Re: Questions on Database DesignMark Phillips4 Oct
  • Re: Questions on Database DesignJohn Meyer4 Oct
    • Questions on un-index searches and slow-query-logCharles Brown5 Oct
      • RE: Questions on un-index searches and slow-query-logGavin Towey5 Oct
      • Re: Questions on un-index searches and slow-query-logWalter Heck - OlinData.com6 Oct
Re: Questions on Database DesignMark Phillips4 Oct