List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Phillips Date:October 3 2009 9:38pm
Subject:Questions on Database Design
View as plain text
I am new at database design, and my question relates to the trade-offs
between putting all data in one database or several for mysql. For example,
say I have an application where a users login from their mobile phones and
read/write data to a database. Say there are roughly 10-15 tables in the
database and each user will add approximately 20,000 records per year. Each
user should not have access to data from another user. Users have to
register in some way to create their database in the first place. When does
it make sense to give each user their own database versus putting all the
data into one database (ie one set of tables) and with multiple userIDs? 10
users? 1,000 users? Never?

Thanks!

Mark

Thread
Questions on Database DesignMark Phillips3 Oct
  • Re: Questions on Database DesignJohn Meyer3 Oct
    • Re: Questions on Database DesignMark Phillips3 Oct
      • Re: Questions on Database DesignJohn Meyer4 Oct
        • Re: Questions on Database DesignMark Phillips4 Oct
Re: Questions on Database DesignMark Phillips4 Oct
  • Re: Questions on Database DesignJohn Meyer4 Oct
    • Questions on un-index searches and slow-query-logCharles Brown5 Oct
      • RE: Questions on un-index searches and slow-query-logGavin Towey5 Oct
      • Re: Questions on un-index searches and slow-query-logWalter Heck - OlinData.com6 Oct
Re: Questions on Database DesignMark Phillips4 Oct