List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Carlos Williams Date:September 30 2009 11:47am
Subject:Re: Unable To Remove User
View as plain text
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:36 PM, mos <mos99@stripped> wrote:
> Why don't you just say "Drop User carlos"?
> Also are you logged in as root?

In my original message to the board I demonstrated the error I get on
my server when I attempt to run the 'drop user 'carlos'@'localhost';
command. Why can't I remove this user from MySQL? I am logged in as
root on both Linux and MySQL so I don't see why I can't remove
'carlos'@'localhost'. It's as if MySQL doesn't understand this user
exist. He might not exist because I can't login as him however I need
this entry removed from the "user" table.

[root@tiger ~]# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 9
Server version: 5.1.38 Source distribution

mysql> show grants for 'carlos'@'localhost';
ERROR 1141 (42000): There is no such grant defined for user 'carlos'
on host 'localhost'
mysql> use mysql;

Database changed
mysql> select User, Host from user;
+--------+------------+
| User   | Host       |
+--------+------------+
| carlos | localhost

| root   | localhost  |
+--------+------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> drop user 'carlos'@'localhost';
ERROR 1396 (HY000): Operation DROP USER failed for 'carlos'@'localhost'
Thread
Unable To Remove UserCarlos Williams30 Sep
  • Re: Unable To Remove Usermos30 Sep
    • Re: Unable To Remove UserCarlos Williams30 Sep
      • Re: Unable To Remove UserClaudio Nanni30 Sep
        • Re: Unable To Remove UserCarlos Williams30 Sep
      • Re: Unable To Remove UserGrant Allen30 Sep
        • RE: Unable To Remove UserMartin Gainty30 Sep
          • Re: Unable To Remove UserCarlos Williams30 Sep
            • RE: Unable To Remove UserLIU YAN30 Sep
RE: Unable To Remove UserJohn Daisley30 Sep