List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Patrice Olivier-Wilson Date:September 29 2009 4:10pm
Subject:Re: Newbie question: importing cvs settings
View as plain text
Jerry Schwartz wrote:

> [JS] This is just a shot in the dark, but Excel can be rather surprising when
> it puts out a CSV file. Depending upon the data, and exactly how you've
> specified the export, it can put double-quotes in unexpected places.
>
> If you leave out the 17th line of data what happens?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Schwartz
> The Infoshop by Global Information Incorporated
> 195 Farmington Ave.
> Farmington, CT 06032
>
> 860.674.8796 / FAX: 860.674.8341
>
> www.the-infoshop.com

Thanks Jerry, Gavin and John:

Sorry for not an immediate response to all of your suggestions. Other
demands were pulling at me since I first asked for assistance.

I opened the .csv file with Text Wrangler, and the commas are missing at
about line 17

portfolio_ID,portfolio_sort_ID,portfolio_title,portfolio_bodycopy,portfolio_image,portfolio_before
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg,
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg
,1,Kitchens,,123.jpg

So not sure why that is happening. I'm on a Mac, using Excel 2008. But
at least you all have helped me find what it is doing, so now, I can at
least pull into a txt file and make corrections manually.

My thanks to all of you for your help and patience.

(above represents an empty portfolio_ID, a filled in sort_ID, title,
empty bodycopy, image, empty before)

Thank you.

--
Patrice Olivier-Wilson
888-385-7217

Thread
Newbie question: importing cvs settingsPatrice Olivier-Wilson26 Sep
  • RE: Newbie question: importing cvs settingsJohn26 Sep
    • Re: Newbie question: importing cvs settingsPatrice Olivier-Wilson26 Sep
      • Re: Newbie question: importing cvs settingsPatrice Olivier-Wilson27 Sep
        • RE: Newbie question: importing cvs settingsJohn27 Sep
        • RE: Newbie question: importing cvs settingsJerry Schwartz29 Sep
          • Re: Newbie question: importing cvs settingsPatrice Olivier-Wilson29 Sep
            • Re: Newbie question: importing cvs settings - followupPatrice Olivier-Wilson30 Sep
      • RE: Newbie question: importing cvs settingsGavin Towey28 Sep