List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Gustafson Date:September 25 2009 11:17pm
Subject:Re: Master/Slave Replication Question
View as plain text
> Moreover, it works today as opposed to waiting until the end
> of time for the database developers to add features like that
> (which mysql cluster is already a distributed database, and
> the devs have said they're not interested in trying to turn
> the regular mysql into a distributed product, instead they
> want to focus on what it does best)

With all due respect to the mySQL cluster people, setting up a mySQL cluster just isn't in
the cards for lots of organizations.  It's just too much.  There's a huge implementation
gap between a single mySQL server and a mySQL Cluster.  I've also heard from people who
have tried to implement mySQL clustering that wide-area cluster replication is hard or
impossible (I can't remember which), so the ability to provide geographic redundancy (one
of my requirements here) isn't workable.

I think saying that I'd have to wait until the end of time is a bit harsh.  Sure, it's not
going to happen tomorrow, but I wasn't expecting that anyhow.

I'm not sure if you've looked at the database integration for things like Drupal, but
there will probably never be a way for Drupal to use an "updates go to this server, reads
go to this server" configuration, as there are thousands of Drupal modules and almost all
of them use the database directly, and each would have to be re-coded to work with the
read/write split configuration.

And anyhow, I think that suggestion is missing the point:

If each application handles this sort of thing differently, then when I run all these
applications on my server (and I do - we host about 175 web sites altogether) I have to
configure each application separately, and I have to instruct all my users (many of them
inexperienced grad students) to remember that "writes go here, reads go there" when they
write their own PHP code.

And, of course, handling this sort of thing at the application level means that some
applications will never support it, and therefore never be able to be geographically
redundant.

So yeah, maybe lots of custom-written software handles the read/write split configuration
well, but there's lots more that doesn't.  I don't know of a single open source
application that does.

So again, I go back to my original statement: replication is a database server problem,
not an application problem.  :)

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
tjg@stripped
831-459-5354
Thread
Master/Slave Replication QuestionTim Gustafson25 Sep
Re: Master/Slave Replication QuestionTim Gustafson25 Sep
  • RE: Master/Slave Replication QuestionGavin Towey26 Sep
Re: Master/Slave Replication QuestionTim Gustafson26 Sep