List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gavin Towey Date:September 25 2009 10:42pm
Subject:RE: Master/Slave Replication Question
View as plain text
You'd be surprised how many places uses this as an actual solution. All arguments aside about what level of the architecture should be doing what, it simply works well.  Moreover, it works today as opposed to waiting until the end of time for the database developers to add features like that (which mysql cluster is already a distributed database, and the devs have said they're not interested in trying to turn the regular mysql into a distributed product, instead they want to focus on what it does best)

I would love to see a drop-in solution that requires no application changes, and doesn't introduce any additional complications such as adding excessive overhead, or have yet another single point of failure, but none (or at least no good ones) exist.  This is because optimization is a very specific process.

Applications like PHPBB, Drupal and WordPress should have their database access encapsulated well enough that making the changes to split reads and writes is trivial.  If not, then it's bad design on their part. Scalability is very much a part of application design as well, and just because lots of people use those apps, doesn't mean they were designed to scale well.

Regards,
Gavin Towey