List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Gustafson Date:September 25 2009 9:43pm
Subject:Re: Master/Slave Replication Question
View as plain text
> Another thought would be at the application layer, sending
> all the updates (insert,delete, update, etc) to server A,
> and the selects to the local slave servers.

This has been suggested before, and I'm totally against it.  Applications like PHPBB,
Drupal, WordPress, etc can't be easily configured to do this, and I'd really like to use
those applications in a more robust and redundant environment.

Pushing the work of this sort of master/slave relationship to the application level means
that most applications will not support it.  Replication is a database server problem,
not an application problem.

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
tjg@stripped
831-459-5354
Thread
Master/Slave Replication QuestionTim Gustafson25 Sep
Re: Master/Slave Replication QuestionTim Gustafson25 Sep
  • RE: Master/Slave Replication QuestionGavin Towey26 Sep
Re: Master/Slave Replication QuestionTim Gustafson26 Sep