List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mike Spreitzer Date:September 21 2009 8:10pm
Subject:RE: incremental name search?
View as plain text
Ah, yes, I forgot to describe the server and the load.  Suppose my web app
and MySQL are done via shared hosting by some common hosting business.  I
do expect multiple people to be using my web app, but generally only one
(usually zero, sometimes one, maybe occasionally a few) at a time.  Is
this going to fly, in terms of latency for the incremental lookups and
overall load at the hosting site?

Thanks

"Jerry Schwartz" <jschwartz@stripped>
09/21/09 03:47 PM

"'Michael Dykman'" <mdykman@stripped>, Mike Spreitzer/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc
<mysql@stripped>
Subject
RE: incremental name search?

SoundEx doesn't do much for names, or non-English words for that matter.

Although you could use AJAX to handle the web part of this, I can't
imagine it
being able to handle much of a load. I think you'll beat the system to
death,
to little avail.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
195 Farmington Ave.
Farmington, CT 06032

860.674.8796 / FAX: 860.674.8341

www.the-infoshop.com

Sometimes
>> I am even typing something that is a spelled a bit wrong ("Schiller"
vs.
>> "Shiller") or variantly ("Lizzie" vs. "Elizabeth").  This seems pretty
far
>> from what MySQL can do directly.  I know about "LIKE" matching.  I know
>> the wider SQL community has something called "soundex", but I have not
yet
>> found it in MySQL.  I have a hard time imagining what will help me with
>> variants on a name.  I do not see any easy way to find the "top 10"
>> matches.  Am I missing anything that can help me here?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> --
>>

>--
> - michael dykman
> - mdykman@stripped
>
>Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If they're any good,
>you'll have to ram them down their throats!
>
>   Howard Aiken
>
>--
>infoshop.com

Thread
incremental name search?Mike Spreitzer21 Sep
  • Re: incremental name search?Michael Dykman21 Sep
    • RE: incremental name search?Jerry Schwartz21 Sep
      • RE: incremental name search?Martin Gainty21 Sep
      • RE: incremental name search?Mike Spreitzer21 Sep
        • RE: incremental name search?Jerry Schwartz21 Sep
          • RE: incremental name search?Gavin Towey22 Sep