List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:December 21 1999 6:43pm
Subject:Re: protocol
View as plain text
At 10:08 AM -0800 1999-12-21, Scott Hess wrote:
><sinisa@stripped> wrote:
>>  alex writes:
>>   >     Where can i find a documentation of protocol of mysql ?
>>
>>  Protocol is in some depth described in a manual. Broder description
>>  can be found in files net.c and net_serv.c .
>
>Really?  Is this manual a different manual than the one on the website?
>I've spent a fair amount of time in that manual and never seen protocol
>documentation I would describe as "in some depth" (or, indeed, "in any
>depth at all").
>
>[Someone else mentioned that the source code was the documentation - uh,
>yeah, sure.  Trying to figure out the protocol from the source code is like
>trying to reconstruct the egg from the omelet.  Theoretically possible, but
>practically very very hard.  Last time I looked, I was hoping for a nice
>compact function which read a packet off the socket and returned a nice,
>orderly structure, but AFAICT, knowledge about packet format is distributed
>across 7 or 8 source files.]

I was that someone, and the reason I said it was because as far as I know,
the source code *is* the only documentation of the protocol.  I didn't say
it was very useful as documentation, since it's really implementation, from
which you have to figure out the protocol specs.

Another possibility might be to take a look at the Java APIs.  They don't
use the C API to talk to the server, so they serve as independent
implementations of the protocol.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread