List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:AndrewJames Date:September 11 2009 12:15pm
Subject:database design
View as plain text
This is a bit of a long shot, but i really need some help and or directed to
the best reading resources.

as i begun building my database (as i went along), i now realise i have to
stop coding and sit back and design the database properly before i can go
on.

However i am still unable to wrap my head around what data to put into what
tables, and which columns i need to link to make the relationships.  so far,
here is what i have.

TABLES:

users
-uid(pk)
-username
-password

articles
-article_id(pk)
-uid(fk)
-article_type(fk)
-article_subject
-article_body

article_types
-article_types_id(pk)
-article_type

So i want the user to be able to login and add articles.

I then want to be able to view all the articles the user has submitted.

So in my understanding i need to link the users.uid(pk) to the
articles.uid(fk) (so i know which user the article belongs to, please
correct and update me if i am wrong)

I am stuck at this point.

A) Have i created the right tables and columns for each table, AND
B) How do i link the articles.article_type to articles_type.type? (IF in
fact that is even the correct linkage)??

Thread
database designAndrewJames11 Sep
  • Re: database designClaudio Nanni11 Sep
    • Re: database designArthur Fuller11 Sep
      • Re: database designKyong Kim12 Sep
        • Re: database designAndrewJames12 Sep
          • Re: database designArthur Fuller12 Sep
          • Re: database designMogens Melander14 Sep
          • RE: database designJerry Schwartz14 Sep