List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johnny Withers Date:August 28 2009 12:25pm
Subject:Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntu
View as plain text
Maybe you do not use innodb tables, in that case there would be no data loss.

On Thursday, August 27, 2009, Jia Chen <chen.1002@stripped> wrote:
> Thanks for the tips. Where can I find more details about the ibdata file?
>
> After I changed the data dir, hese file did get recreated. So far, I have not noticed
> any data loss yet.
>
> Best,
> Jia
>
> Eric Bergen wrote:
>
> That procedure is horribly incorrect. You should simply move the
> ib_log and ibdata files with the rest of the datadir. The ibdata1 file
> contains innodb's system tables and depending on your setting of
> innodb_file_per_table it also contains your data!
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Jia Chen<chen.1002@stripped> wrote:
>

> Chen, Did you really delete ibdata1 ?
>

> Yes, I did.
>
> Best,
> Jia
>

> Claudio Nanni wrote:
>

> 2009/8/26 chen jia <chen.1002@stripped <mailto:chen.1002@stripped>>
>
>    Hi there,
>
>    I am using MySQL on ubuntu 8.04.
>
>    I followed this link
>

>  http://www.ubuntu-howto.info/howto/how-to-move-mysql-databases-to-another-location-partition-or-hard-drive
>    to change the data directory of MySQL.
>
>    After stopping MySQL: sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop
>
>    I make a new directory: sudo mkdir /media/disk/MySQL_data
>
>    then change the ownership of new directory, sudo chown mysql:mysql
>    /media/disk/MySQL_data
>
>    and copy all data to the new directory, cp -r -p /var/lib/mysql/*
>    /media/disk/MySQL_data/ and deleted all files like ibdata1,
>

> Chen, Did you really delete ibdata1 ?
>

>    ib_logfile0, and ib_logfile1.
>
>    I then edit /etc/mysql/my.conf and update the "datadir" to my new
>    directory. I also update /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysql so that news
>    lines with /var/lib/mysql replaced by /media/disk/MySQL_data are
>    added.
>
>    However, after sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor reload
>
>    I try sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
>
>    I got
>    * Starting MySQL database server mysqld
>           [fail]
>
>    If I change the "datadir" line in /etc/mysql/my.conf back to the
>    original one, I can start MySQL successfully.
>
>    I think I have done everything needed to change MySQL data directory.
>
>    Why am I still getting this error?  Where can I start to look for
>    the causes?
>
>    Thanks.
>
>    Jia
>
>    --

-----------------------------
Johnny Withers
601.209.4985
johnny@stripped
Thread
Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuchen jia26 Aug
  • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
    • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen26 Aug
      • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
        • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
          • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen26 Aug
  • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuClaudio Nanni27 Aug
    • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen27 Aug
      • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuEric Bergen27 Aug
        • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen27 Aug
          • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers28 Aug
            • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuchen jia29 Aug