List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jia Chen Date:August 27 2009 6:15pm
Subject:Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntu
View as plain text
Thanks for the tips. Where can I find more details about the ibdata file?

After I changed the data dir, hese file did get recreated. So far, I
have not noticed any data loss yet.

Best,
Jia

Eric Bergen wrote:
> That procedure is horribly incorrect. You should simply move the
> ib_log and ibdata files with the rest of the datadir. The ibdata1 file
> contains innodb's system tables and depending on your setting of
> innodb_file_per_table it also contains your data!
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Jia Chen<chen.1002@stripped> wrote:
>
>>> Chen, Did you really delete ibdata1 ?
>>>
>> Yes, I did.
>>
>> Best,
>> Jia
>>

>> Claudio Nanni wrote:
>>
>>> 2009/8/26 chen jia <chen.1002@stripped
> <mailto:chen.1002@stripped>>
>>>
>>>    Hi there,
>>>
>>>    I am using MySQL on ubuntu 8.04.
>>>
>>>    I followed this link
>>>

> http://www.ubuntu-howto.info/howto/how-to-move-mysql-databases-to-another-location-partition-or-hard-drive
>>>    to change the data directory of MySQL.
>>>
>>>    After stopping MySQL: sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop
>>>
>>>    I make a new directory: sudo mkdir /media/disk/MySQL_data
>>>
>>>    then change the ownership of new directory, sudo chown mysql:mysql
>>>    /media/disk/MySQL_data
>>>
>>>    and copy all data to the new directory, cp -r -p /var/lib/mysql/*
>>>    /media/disk/MySQL_data/ and deleted all files like ibdata1,
>>>

>>> Chen, Did you really delete ibdata1 ?
>>>

>>>    ib_logfile0, and ib_logfile1.
>>>
>>>    I then edit /etc/mysql/my.conf and update the "datadir" to my new
>>>    directory. I also update /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysql so that news
>>>    lines with /var/lib/mysql replaced by /media/disk/MySQL_data are
>>>    added.
>>>
>>>    However, after sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor reload
>>>
>>>    I try sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
>>>
>>>    I got
>>>    * Starting MySQL database server mysqld
>>>           [fail]
>>>
>>>    If I change the "datadir" line in /etc/mysql/my.conf back to the
>>>    original one, I can start MySQL successfully.
>>>
>>>    I think I have done everything needed to change MySQL data directory.
>>>
>>>    Why am I still getting this error?  Where can I start to look for
>>>    the causes?
>>>
>>>    Thanks.
>>>
>>>    Jia
>>>
>>>    --
>>>

>> --

Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuchen jia26 Aug
  • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
    • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen26 Aug
      • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
        • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
          • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen26 Aug
  • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuClaudio Nanni27 Aug
    • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen27 Aug
      • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuEric Bergen27 Aug
        • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen27 Aug
          • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers28 Aug
            • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuchen jia29 Aug