List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Claudio Nanni Date:August 27 2009 7:59am
Subject:Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntu
View as plain text
2009/8/26 chen jia <chen.1002@stripped>

> Hi there,
>
> I am using MySQL on ubuntu 8.04.
>
> I followed this link
>

> http://www.ubuntu-howto.info/howto/how-to-move-mysql-databases-to-another-location-partition-or-hard-drive
> to change the data directory of MySQL.
>
> After stopping MySQL: sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop
>
> I make a new directory: sudo mkdir /media/disk/MySQL_data
>
> then change the ownership of new directory, sudo chown mysql:mysql
> /media/disk/MySQL_data
>
> and copy all data to the new directory, cp -r -p /var/lib/mysql/*
> /media/disk/MySQL_data/ and deleted all files like ibdata1,

Chen, Did you really delete ibdata1 ?

> ib_logfile0, and ib_logfile1.
>
> I then edit /etc/mysql/my.conf and update the "datadir" to my new
> directory. I also update /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysql so that news
> lines with /var/lib/mysql replaced by /media/disk/MySQL_data are
> added.
>
> However, after sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor reload
>
> I try sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
>
> I got
> * Starting MySQL database server mysqld
>        [fail]
>
> If I change the "datadir" line in /etc/mysql/my.conf back to the
> original one, I can start MySQL successfully.
>
> I think I have done everything needed to change MySQL data directory.
>
> Why am I still getting this error?  Where can I start to look for the
> causes?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jia

Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuchen jia26 Aug
  • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
    • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen26 Aug
      • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
        • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
          • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen26 Aug
  • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuClaudio Nanni27 Aug
    • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen27 Aug
      • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuEric Bergen27 Aug
        • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen27 Aug
          • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers28 Aug
            • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuchen jia29 Aug