List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:chen jia Date:August 26 2009 12:46am
Subject:Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntu
View as plain text
Hi there,

I am using MySQL on ubuntu 8.04.

I followed this link
http://www.ubuntu-howto.info/howto/how-to-move-mysql-databases-to-another-location-partition-or-hard-drive
to change the data directory of MySQL.

After stopping MySQL: sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop

I make a new directory: sudo mkdir /media/disk/MySQL_data

then change the ownership of new directory, sudo chown mysql:mysql
/media/disk/MySQL_data

and copy all data to the new directory, cp -r -p /var/lib/mysql/*
/media/disk/MySQL_data/ and deleted all files like ibdata1,
ib_logfile0, and ib_logfile1.

I then edit /etc/mysql/my.conf and update the "datadir" to my new
directory. I also update /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysql so that news
lines with /var/lib/mysql replaced by /media/disk/MySQL_data are
added.

However, after sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor reload

I try sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start

I got
* Starting MySQL database server mysqld
        [fail]

If I change the "datadir" line in /etc/mysql/my.conf back to the
original one, I can start MySQL successfully.

I think I have done everything needed to change MySQL data directory.

Why am I still getting this error?  Where can I start to look for the causes?

Thanks.

Jia
Thread
Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuchen jia26 Aug
  • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
    • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen26 Aug
      • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
        • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers26 Aug
          • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen26 Aug
  • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuClaudio Nanni27 Aug
    • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen27 Aug
      • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuEric Bergen27 Aug
        • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJia Chen27 Aug
          • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuJohnny Withers28 Aug
            • Re: Fail to change MySQL data directory on ubuntuchen jia29 Aug