List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:philip Date:August 25 2009 9:07am
Subject:Re: MySQL Encryption - Third-party tools
View as plain text
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Mike Scully wrote:

> Hello, all.
> =20
> Can any of you share with me the names of any third-party tools or
> appliances that you are using to encrypt your MySQL databases?  I am
> doing a search and would like to narrow down the initial search list.
> Thanks!
> =20
> Mike

I use ccrypt from http://ccrypt.sourceforge.net to encrypt databases
before storing them on removable media for offsite storage.

Platform is a Sun Ultra 45 running Solaris 10 and the command looks
something like,

	mysqldump db_name | bzip2 | ccrypt -e -k keyfile | ...

(Note the bzip2 in the pipeline. This reduces the size of the files by a
factor of between 5-8.)

It's certainly more than fast enough for my needs. I suspect most of the
time is taken up by mysqldmp and writing the ouput to the external media.

--
TTFN

   Philip Riebold, p.riebold@stripped
Thread
MySQL Encryption - Third-party toolsMike Scully24 Aug
  • Re: MySQL Encryption - Third-party toolsphilip25 Aug
    • RE: MySQL Encryption - Third-party toolsDaevid Vincent26 Aug