List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rolando Edwards Date:August 5 2009 9:12pm
Subject:RE: How to Detect MySql table update/difference
View as plain text
I have good news and bad news for you when it comes to MySQL 5.x.

Good News if you are counting against MyISAM
Bad News if you are counting against InnoDB

Good News
---------
For MyISAM
Just use either
SELECT table_rows FROM information_schema.tables WHERE table_schema='<given db name>' and table_name='<given table name>';
Or
SELECT COUNT(1) FROM <db-name>.<tbl-name>; (This will work in MySQL 4.x as well)

Bad News
--------
For InnoDB
SELECT COUNT(1) FROM <db-name>.<tbl-name>, even though it can run faster than SELECT COUNT(*),
will still count every row in the table anyway.

If you are using InnoDB, you are on your own !!!!
If you are using MyISAM, have fun !!!!

Rolando A. Edwards
MySQL DBA (CMDBA)

155 Avenue of the Americas, Fifth Floor