List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:July 13 2009 2:10pm
Subject:Re: Uploading large files with mySQL
View as plain text
At 07:08 AM 7/13/2009, you wrote:
>Hello,
>I'm developing a web application that requires to store large files in a
>MySQL database. The files can range up to 2Gb.
>
>In my understanding the upper limit for the SQL queries (thus insert
>queries) is 1GB. I'm trying, for the time being, to upload files of sizes
>around 65MB, but I still get some errors - including the "MySQL server has
>gone away".
>
>I followed the discussion in other post, and I properly set all the system
>variables (max_allowed_packet_size, wait_timeout) to the maximum value, but
>the error still occurs.
>
>Would you suggest looking at something in particular?

You are storing 1-2gb "files?" in a database??? Why? What are you trying to
achieve?

As Johan said, SQL is not meant to do this and I see no reason why you
would want to. It is like trying to shove an elephant into a phone booth
and then be disappointed he can't do tricks.

You are going to have to rethink the problem you are trying to solve. If
you want to tell us what the problem is, maybe the people on this group can
help.

Mike

>For the time being, just to try this, I'm inserting the file through the
>MySQL Query Browser - just not to add other possible sources of problems on
>top of that.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Dan

Thread
Uploading large files with mySQLDaniele Development-ML13 Jul
  • Re: Uploading large files with mySQLJohan De Meersman13 Jul
  • Re: Uploading large files with mySQLmos13 Jul
  • Re: Uploading large files with mySQLBarry Leslie13 Jul