List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Scott Hassan Date:April 21 1999 6:38am
Subject:Too many databases
View as plain text
Hi there.  At eGroups.com, we are using Mysql pretty heavily.  Awesome
stuff!  We have a couple problems:

Problem 0:

  When isamchk-ing a table that the ISM and ISD files are on separate
  disks and are symlinked together in the database directory, isamchk
  screws up when writing the final ISM file.  Does isamchk understand
  symlinks?

Problem 1:

  We have an application using mysql that needs tens of
  thousands of separate databases.  We would like a simple way for Mysql
  to *not* place all of the databases in the top level directory.
  Preferably, in a 256 directory hashing scheme based on the database
  name.  Has anyone done this or has a better idea?

Problem 2:

  Support for tables greater than 2G on a Linux box.

Problem 3:

  Separate update_logs per database?  per table?

Problem 4:

  We need delayed updates.  It seems if we are doing updates of the
  form:

	update table set x=x+2 where y=foobar

  That it could be potentially delayed until there is a period of
  inactively.

Thanks,

Scott Hassan
eGroups.com

Thread
Too many databasesScott Hassan21 Apr
  • Re: Too many databasesFred Read21 Apr
    • Re: Too many databasesScott Hassan21 Apr
  • Too many databasesMichael Widenius22 Apr