List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brian R Timmins Date:April 21 1999 2:56pm
Subject:Re: NT vs Linux
View as plain text

> Just out of interest, Brian, can you tell us anything about
> the relative "reboot frequency" of the two boxes?

> Just recently I had to powerdown one of my Linux servers to
> allow work on the mains power supply and was rather annoyed
> because it was just short of one year [331 days as I recall].

> My experience of NT has been "one reboot a week or it will
> slow to a crawl and then fall over"...

If it does not fall over for other reasons anyway...

My Linux box had been running for seven months before I
installed Sybase on it and has been running for three months
since - WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER :-)))

NT is so unreliable that I don't keep it running at all, but
power it up just for testing purposes.

But then as a freelance consultant I can do that... yippeeee

More seriously I would not recommend an NT server
for any mission critical job whatsoever.

Regards, Brian

Thread
NT vs LinuxSean Hynes21 Apr
  • Re: NT vs LinuxSasha Pachev21 Apr
  • Re: NT vs LinuxAllen Bolderoff21 Apr
  • Re: NT vs LinuxBrian Timmins21 Apr
  • Re: NT vs Linux ( a little OT)Steve Edberg21 Apr
  • Re: NT vs LinuxFred Read21 Apr
Re: NT vs LinuxBrian R Timmins21 Apr