List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Todd Lyons Date:June 27 2009 7:36pm
Subject:Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34
View as plain text
On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Mike Spreitzer<mspreitz@stripped> wrote:
> Today's instance finished shortly after I sent the email below.  BTW, here
> are some specifics on the table (which uses MyISAM).  Thursday's instance
> has 11 GB of data and 0.78 GB of index.  Today's instance has 26 GB of
> data and 1.8 GB of index.

If you have the ability to test, I'd compare that to importing the csv
into the table with the indexes already defined.  The way you did it
should be faster, but since you see that it's only using one core, I'd
try splitting the data up into 16 separate files and importing them
all at once.  In theory (SWAG actually), multiple imports would each
use their own core to whatever thread count you have innodb defined to
use ... Oh, just saw that you were using myisam.  Never mind.

At any rate, I'd be very surprised if importing into a table with
indexes already defined was the same speed or faster, but doing so
could give you some useful information, such as at what point the
import (and concurrent index creation) drops from expected level X to
much reduced level Y.  You could then (hopefully) find a correlation
between some cache or buffer setting that will explain the sudden drop
in speed.
--
Regards...      Todd
Thread
Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Mike Spreitzer25 Jun
  • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Mike Spreitzer25 Jun
    • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34mos25 Jun
      • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Mike Spreitzer25 Jun
      • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Simon J Mudd27 Jun
    • RE: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Jerry Schwartz25 Jun
Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34mos25 Jun
  • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Moon's Father26 Jun
    • RE: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Jerry Schwartz26 Jun
      • RE: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Jerry Schwartz26 Jun
  • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Mike Spreitzer27 Jun
    • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Mike Spreitzer27 Jun
      • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Todd Lyons27 Jun