List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mike Spreitzer Date:June 25 2009 7:09am
Subject:Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34
View as plain text
Like I said in the subject line, I am using 5.1.34.  I started with
my-huge.cnf, which says "key_buffer" rather than "key_buffer_size"; SHOW
GLOBAL VARIABLES confirms, however, that my key_buffer_size is 8GB.

That indexing operation finally finished after about 1.5 hours; that was
about 0.5 hours ago.  Now I am on to other things.  I have attached a ZIP
archive of the status you suggested, taken at this point in time.

Thanks,
Mike Spreitzer

mos <mos99@stripped>
06/25/09 02:32 AM

mysql@stripped
cc

Subject
Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34

At 12:37 AM 6/25/2009, you wrote:
>Actually, my characterization of the current state is wrong.  It appears
>that one core is completely busy, I suppose MySQL does this indexing work
>in a single thread.  Is it reasonable for indexing to be CPU bound?
>

>my.cnf based on my-huge.cnf, expanding key_buffer to 8G,
>myisam_sort_buffer_size to 256M, and putting tmpdir on the fiber channel
>disk.

Mike,
     You mean "key_buffer_size" don't you and not "key_buffer"? If you are

using MySQL 5.0 then the upper limit is 4gb but 5.1 allows for more than
4gb.
Also try increasing "sort_buffer_size".

Posting your "Show Status" will help people see where the bottle neck is.

Mike

Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Mike Spreitzer25 Jun
  • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Mike Spreitzer25 Jun
    • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34mos25 Jun
      • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Mike Spreitzer25 Jun
      • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Simon J Mudd27 Jun
    • RE: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Jerry Schwartz25 Jun
Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34mos25 Jun
  • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Moon's Father26 Jun
    • RE: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Jerry Schwartz26 Jun
      • RE: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Jerry Schwartz26 Jun
  • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Mike Spreitzer27 Jun
    • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Mike Spreitzer27 Jun
      • Re: Indexing dynamics in MySQL Community Edition 5.1.34Todd Lyons27 Jun