List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Pete Wilson Date:May 27 2009 4:50pm
Subject:Can a MyISAM DB hold /everything/?
View as plain text

Hi folks --

I am new to MySQL and just laying out what I hope will be just one db that holds all the
info for a list of forged or machined metal parts.

Let's say there are 10,000 such parts, each with a unique part number. That part number is
the primary index.

Each part has at least one, and maybe several, accompanying photos.

And each part has at least one, and perhaps as many as five, human-language descriptions.
These descriptions might be as long as 5,000 characters each.

I believe I have the choice of:

1. Storing everything -- photos and descriptions included -- in the database; or

2. Holding some info in the database; and storing photos and descriptions in normal-type
disk files apart from the database, with names based on part numbers.

So my questions:

1. Which scheme is faster and less resource-hogging in reading, updating, adding, and
deleting?

2. I understand there are problems in storing photos in the db. Can one overcome these
problems somehow?

Thanks!

-- Pete

Thread
Can a MyISAM DB hold /everything/?Pete Wilson27 May
  • Re: Can a MyISAM DB hold /everything/?Walter Heck - OlinData.com27 May
  • Re: Can a MyISAM DB hold /everything/?Scott Haneda27 May
    • Re: Can a MyISAM DB hold /everything/?Arthur Fuller28 May
      • Re: Can a MyISAM DB hold /everything/?mugisha moses28 May
        • RE: Can a MyISAM DB hold /everything/?Jerry Schwartz28 May
        • Re: Can a MyISAM DB hold /everything/?Scott Haneda28 May
    • Re: Can a MyISAM DB hold /everything/?PJ28 May
      • Re: Can a MyISAM DB hold /everything/?Scott Haneda28 May