List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Simon J Mudd Date:May 27 2009 3:23pm
Subject:Re: Should I be able to DELETE FROM ... WHERE .. IN ( ... ) with multiple a column key?
View as plain text
perrin@stripped (Perrin Harkins) writes:

> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@stripped> wrote:
> > So is the format of the DELETE FROM .. WHERE ... IN ( ... )  clause I
> > propose valid and SHOULD the optimiser recognise this and be expected
> > to just find the 2 rows by searching on the primary key?
>
> Not according to the docs:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/comparison-operators.html#function_in

I'm not sure that the reference makes anything clear. The statements
are wrote ARE valid SQL and even though containing mulitiple column
values ARE "constants".

Problem is I'm finding it hard to find a definitive reference to something
like this. I'll have to check my Joe Celko books to see if he mentions ths.

Simon
Thread
Should I be able to DELETE FROM ... WHERE .. IN ( ... ) with multiple a column key?Simon J Mudd27 May
  • Re: Should I be able to DELETE FROM ... WHERE .. IN ( ... ) with multiple a column key?Perrin Harkins27 May
    • Re: Should I be able to DELETE FROM ... WHERE .. IN ( ... ) with multiple a column key?Simon J Mudd27 May
      • Re: Should I be able to DELETE FROM ... WHERE .. IN ( ... ) with multiple a column key?Baron Schwartz27 May
        • Re: Should I be able to DELETE FROM ... WHERE .. IN ( ... ) with multiple a column key?Moon's Father31 May