List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul Choi Date:May 20 2009 6:51pm
Subject:Re: Upgrade Mysql
View as plain text
Hi,

I don't know what Linux distro you're using, but I'd make a backup of
/var/lib/mysql dir before you do anything (in case the mysql package
decides to nuke your stuff). If you have a dump of your dbs, that's fine
too. And maybe a backup of your my.cnf.

Just install the new mysql package, then start it. Then you'll need to
run "mysqlupgrade". Depending on the size of your database and type of
tables you are using it can take a while. For InnoDB tables, for
example, upgrade simply means copy to tmp table... that's really slow if
you have a large table.

Once mysqlupgrade runs without a hitch, you should be back in business.

-Paul

Webmaster Studio Informatica wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I need to upgrade Mysql 4 to Mysql 5 on Linux.
>

> I will uninstall version 4 and install version 5.
>

> With uninstallation usually database files remain in /var/lib/mysql/
>

> I want to know if with the installation of Mysql 5 those database will be "recognized
> and imported" to work with the new version automatically.
>

> Thank You.

Thread
Upgrade MysqlWebmaster Studio Informatica20 May
  • Re: Upgrade MysqlScott Haneda20 May
  • Re: Upgrade MysqlDave Shariff Yadallee -  System Administrator a.k.a. The Root of the Problem20 May
  • Re: Upgrade MysqlPaul Choi20 May
    • Re: Upgrade MysqlClaudio Nanni20 May
Re: Upgrade MysqlWebmaster Studio Informatica21 May