List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Scott Haneda Date:May 20 2009 8:53am
Subject:Re: Upgrade Mysql
View as plain text
On May 20, 2009, at 1:27 AM, Webmaster Studio Informatica wrote:

> I need to upgrade Mysql 4 to Mysql 5 on Linux.

Sometimes....

> I will uninstall version 4 and install version 5.
>
> With uninstallation usually database files remain in /var/lib/mysql/
>
> I want to know if with the installation of Mysql 5 those database
> will be "recognized and imported" to work with the new version
> automatically.

In most cases, but you should have a database dump of all of them just
in case.  You do not specify what version of 4 you are at.

You need to at least read this:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html

Specifically look at "Incompatible change", there are quote a few.
Most will not bother you.  For me, the biggest issue was my use of
timestamp, and how that changed a bit.  Luckily I had a function that
I used in my code to format that timestamp value, so it was just a
matter of going through all my code and updating one function to all
sites.

This was also only a display issue for me and did not change my data.

You do have to know your code.  If you do not, I would use a staging
server, and do them one database at a time, test, make sure it works,
and go from there.

Upgrade MysqlWebmaster Studio Informatica20 May
  • Re: Upgrade MysqlScott Haneda20 May
  • Re: Upgrade MysqlDave Shariff Yadallee -  System Administrator a.k.a. The Root of the Problem20 May
  • Re: Upgrade MysqlPaul Choi20 May
    • Re: Upgrade MysqlClaudio Nanni20 May
Re: Upgrade MysqlWebmaster Studio Informatica21 May