List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:May 15 2009 1:43pm
Subject:Re: Inserting a default null date
View as plain text
Hi,

> I have a table with a column like:
>
> date date default null,
>
> If I enter an empty string in it, the default null value is added (as it
> should).
>
> But if I enter an invalid date by mistake, the date 0000-00-00 date date
> is entered instead of the default null, and this is not good.
>
> Can I do something to force MySQL to insert a null date if the entered
> date is an invalid one?

That's silly, if the data you want to insert is considered to be invalid,
reject it,
don't replace it with NULL.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Download FREE! Database Workbench Lite for MySQL!

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Inserting a default null date Octavian Rasnita15 May
  • Re: Inserting a default null dateJanek Bogucki15 May
  • Re: Inserting a default null date Martijn Tonies15 May
    • RE: Inserting a default null date Andrew Braithwaite15 May