List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Lyons Date:May 14 2009 3:38pm
Subject:Re: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)
View as plain text
Definitely CHAR (or VARCHAR).

If the format of a MAC address changes at all, you could be in real
trouble.  Also, if a MAC address can have a leading 0 (I don't know anything
about MAC addresses), then storing it as some sort of number could lose
that.

This is a general rule for me.  A field might only contain numbers (at one
particular point in time)  but if those numbers are really nominal data (in
which the size or order does not matter) then they should be CHAR or VARCHAR
fields anyway.

--
Jim Lyons
Web developer / Database administrator

Thread
MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Ilia KATZ14 May
  • Re: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Fish Kungfu14 May
    • Re: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)kabel14 May
    • RE: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Ilia KATZ14 May
  • RE: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Jerry Schwartz14 May
  • Re: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Thomas Spahni14 May
  • Re: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Jim Lyons14 May
  • RE: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Daevid Vincent14 May
Re: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Pete Wilson14 May
  • Re: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Jim Lyons14 May
Re: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Pete Wilson14 May
RE: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Gavin Towey15 May
Re: MAC address as primary key - BIGINT or CHAR(12)Gavin Towey15 May