List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:blackwater dev Date:May 12 2009 4:55pm
Subject:Re: selecting the 'best' match
View as plain text
Thanks but doing it in code would require me to pull in the entire car table
and process it.  With potentially tons of rows, seems like I should be able
to use the db to get those.

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Johan De Meersman <vegivamp@stripped>wrote:

> you *could* go with if-statements, returning a numerical weight for each
> criterion if match and 0 if not; summing those and sorting by the sum
> column.
>
> I would do it in code, though - it may or may not be less efficient, but
> it'll be easier to maintain and read.
>

> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:50 PM, blackwater dev
> <blackwaterdev@stripped>wrote:
>
>> I have a hold car data such as color, model, make, year, etc.  I want to
>> allow the user to answer some questions and I'll present them with the car
>> that 'best' matches their criteria.  How do I do this?  I still want to
>> return ones that don't match exactly but want the closer matches ordered
>> at
>> the top:
>>
>> Table:cars
>>
>> columns: car_id, make, model, year, color, condition
>>
>> So if the user enterrs:
>>
>> model: Toyota
>> year: 1998
>> condition:great
>> color: blue
>>
>> I would show them a blue 1998 good conditioned camry first but farther
>> down
>> in the list might still have a blue good condition 98 Honda.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> --
> Celsius is based on water temperature.
> Fahrenheit is based on alcohol temperature.
> Ergo, Fahrenheit is better than Celsius. QED.

Thread
selecting the 'best' matchblackwater dev12 May
  • Re: selecting the 'best' matchJohan De Meersman12 May
    • Re: selecting the 'best' matchblackwater dev12 May
      • Re: selecting the 'best' matchJohan De Meersman12 May
      • Re: selecting the 'best' matchCurtis Maurand12 May
  • Re: selecting the 'best' matchGerald L. Clark12 May
  • Re: selecting the 'best' matchJoerg Bruehe15 May