List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Craig (OFT) Weston Date:May 11 2009 7:49pm
Subject:RE: Merging Databases
View as plain text

-----Original Message-----
From: Johnny Withers [mailto:johnny@stripped]
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 3:30 PM
To: MySQL General List
Subject: Merging Databases

Hi,
I have a lot of databases that have the exact same tables and each table has
the exact same column structure. I'm looking at merging two of these
databases together into a single database (Company A bought Company B and
wants the data from A combined into B now).

I've been tossing around the idea of looking in database B at each table
that would need to be "merged" and simply adding the last ID number to every
ID number in database A's tables. For example, in table1 in B's data, the
last ID number is 2000, could we simply add 2000 to every ID number in
table1 in A's data? Could we then export (SELECT INTO OUTFILE) from A's data
and import (LOAD DATA) into B's data?

Has anyone done something like this before? Did you have problems?

--
-----------------------------
Johnny Withers

---

Why not create a view and just concatenate on an identifier? This way the data can be kept
in the same forms.

Or, if you do want to have it as one table, you can use a select insert statement to move
from one to another. Build the select query first to get the data looking like you want
it, then convert it when you think you are ready.

Of course, backups are your friend in any case.  :)

Cheers,
Craig

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise
legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this e-mail in
error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy
or otherwise use this e-mail or its attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.

Thread
Merging DatabasesJohnny Withers11 May
  • RE: Merging DatabasesOFT)11 May
    • Re: Merging DatabasesJohnny Withers11 May
      • Re: Merging DatabasesChris Clarke11 May
      • RE: Merging DatabasesAndrew Braithwaite11 May