List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johnny Withers Date:May 11 2009 7:30pm
Subject:Merging Databases
View as plain text
Hi,
I have a lot of databases that have the exact same tables and each table has
the exact same column structure. I'm looking at merging two of these
databases together into a single database (Company A bought Company B and
wants the data from A combined into B now).

I've been tossing around the idea of looking in database B at each table
that would need to be "merged" and simply adding the last ID number to every
ID number in database A's tables. For example, in table1 in B's data, the
last ID number is 2000, could we simply add 2000 to every ID number in
table1 in A's data? Could we then export (SELECT INTO OUTFILE) from A's data
and import (LOAD DATA) into B's data?

Has anyone done something like this before? Did you have problems?

--
Johnny Withers

Thread
Merging DatabasesJohnny Withers11 May
  • RE: Merging DatabasesOFT)11 May
    • Re: Merging DatabasesJohnny Withers11 May
      • Re: Merging DatabasesChris Clarke11 May
      • RE: Merging DatabasesAndrew Braithwaite11 May