List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:May 7 2009 9:40am
Subject:Re: Problems After MySql 5.1.34
View as plain text
Hi Gary, all,

Gary Smith wrote:
> Johnny,
>
> Welcome to the hell that is php + apache + mysql.  If you upgrade your MySql
> (especially major versions 5.0 => 5.1) you will also need to recompile php against the
> new MySql client libs.  We've had very limited success trying to get it to work
> otherwise.

Which other approach(es) did you try?

> This is why you are receiving the error through PHP.
>
> Of course, I could be wrong, in which case I know people will probably jump me for
> it.  If this is the case, please do as I would like to be wrong here as it would make my
> compiling life easier every time I update MySql on all of my boxes.

Please see my other mail:

- Using "tar.gz", the old version of the client libs should not be
  touched when you upgrade MySQL.

- Using RPMs, you need to install "shared-compat" (and not "shared") if
  you are using application binaries built against older version(s).

If you found any problems with this, please tell us!

We are considering to change the contents of "shared-compat" RPMs, so
that they would not replace "shared" any more but just complement it
(bring just the old libs, not the current one).
The advantage would be that you then can install (or uninstall) them
without affecting your clients built against the current version,
especially those coming from MySQL directly.
However, this would mean a change in usage pattern for existing users,
and we are not yet sufficiently sure that our users would welcome it.

Regards,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  Joerg.Bruehe@stripped
Sun Microsystems GmbH,   Komturstraße 18a,   D-12099 Berlin

Thread
Problems After MySql 5.1.34Johnny Stork6 May
  • Re: Problems After MySql 5.1.34Johnny Stork6 May
    • RE: Problems After MySql 5.1.34Gary Smith6 May
      • Re: Problems After MySql 5.1.34walter harms7 May
        • RE: Problems After MySql 5.1.34Mark7 May
          • RE: Problems After MySql 5.1.34Gary Smith7 May
            • Re: Problems After MySql 5.1.34 - THANKSJohnny Stork9 May
    • Re: Problems After MySql 5.1.34Joerg Bruehe7 May