List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green Date:May 3 2009 5:51pm
Subject:Re: Where the hell did 5.4 come from?
View as plain text
Andy Shellam wrote:
> My thoughts exactly!
>
> This article might help:
> http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-54.html
>
> It worries me though that 5.1 went through a large number of alpha
> releases, then a set of beta releases before the GA release came out.
> It looks like they've thrown 5.4 straight out without anyone even being
> aware that it existed!
>
> Hell, 6.0 is on its tenth release and it's still in alpha.
>
> Like you say, it'd be interesting to see which blackhole 5.2 and 5.3
> fell into...!
>
> Andy
>
> Daevid Vincent wrote:
>> Have I been in a coma or something?
>>
>> WTF happened to 5.2 and 5.3? Hell, we're still on 5.0.51 and 5.1 just
>> came
>> out a month or two ago right?

What you now know as 6.0 was originally called 5.2.  5.3 was a very
short-lived test of an idea. It never made it to Alpha.

So, 5.4 is the next version in the 5.x line. It's a hybrid of 5.1 and
6.0 and is putting a lot of recent performance improvement suggestions
into practical use.  It is not yet GA.

Because 5.1 is already GA, many of these suggestions could not be added
to that code without changing how it operates. The next version, 6.0,
will have several new core features that are still under development.
While these performance tweaks will be appearing in 6.0 its release date
for is still a ways out. That means that the quickest way to get the
faster code into our users hands is to produce an intermediate release,
5.4 !

More details will be coming out as the 5.4 matures.

--
Shawn Green, MySQL Senior Support Engineer
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Thread
Is there a MySQL 5.4 Speed advantage for MyISAM tables?mos30 Apr
  • Where the hell did 5.4 come from?Daevid Vincent30 Apr
    • SELECT of records that have a matching record in a many to many tableNigel Peck30 Apr
      • Re: SELECT of records that have a matching record in a many to many tableMartijn Engler4 May
    • Re: Where the hell did 5.4 come from?Andy Shellam30 Apr
      • RE: Where the hell did 5.4 come from?Gary Smith30 Apr
      • Re: Where the hell did 5.4 come from?Shawn Green3 May
  • Re: Is there a MySQL 5.4 Speed advantage for MyISAM tables?mos3 May