List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joshua D. Drake Date:April 27 2009 6:24pm
Subject:Re: Oracle , what else ?
View as plain text
On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 12:15 -0700, David Sparks wrote:
> Glyn Astill wrote:
> >> Begone Postgres troll!
> >
> > Oh the hostility of a scorned mysql user. Joshua has posted no more FUD
> > than you mysql chaps have done yourselvs over the past few days. You were
> > worried about the future and he's posted a few ideas of how you can
> > prepare.

> No he didn't.  He posted doom and gloom:

Boy you really just can't handle someone not agreeing with you can you?

> "It will be a supported but second class citizen from Oracle."

Yes, and I stand by that.

> "Oracle is not interested in the 1000/yr business. For the most
> part that is where MySQL revenue is."

All you have to do is look at the SEC filings and the pricing sheet.

> "maintain it long enough to allow MySQL to kill itself."

Which I do still believe will happen.

> "I would expect that MySQL in two years likely won't exist except on the
> most tertiary level."

How we take one piece of the whole puzzle to make our point in the
fruitless effort to discredit those who are clearly more well thought
out than you.

My "whole" point was:

        I would expect that MySQL in two years likely won't exist except
        on the most tertiary level. Most new projects will be developed
        in either PostgreSQL, Interbase or one of the forks (MariaDB,
        Drizzle).

Considering my discussion with Monty this weekend, I would exert that
the above is even more true. MariaDB is set to be a meritocracy based,
true community (something the current MySQL is not). I expect that it
will return to a quality form of development of release when ready not
when the marketing droids force you to.

I have a strong faith (even if I am not technically interested) in the
direction Monty is going with MariaDB. I expect to see great things.

> One more time: begone Postgres troll!

Based on your definition of troll, I would say that I am more a MariaDB
troll.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@stripped
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Thread
Oracle , what else ?Gilles MISSONNIER21 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Simon Connah21 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Martijn Tonies21 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake22 Apr
      • Re: Oracle , what else ?Glyn Astill23 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake23 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?mos21 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Andy Shellam21 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Yves Goergen23 Apr
    • RE: Oracle , what else ?Gabriel - IP Guys23 Apr
      • RE: Oracle , what else ?Janek Bogucki28 Apr
        • RE: Oracle , what else ?John Daisley28 Apr
          • RE: Oracle , what else ?mos28 Apr
      • RE: Oracle , what else ?Janek Bogucki28 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Martijn Tonies24 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake24 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?mos24 Apr
Re: Oracle , what else ?John Daisley22 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Arthur Fuller22 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?NĂ©stor22 Apr
      • Re: Oracle , what else ?mos22 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Krishna Chandra Prajapati22 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Martijn Tonies22 Apr
RE: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?David Sparks24 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Glyn Astill24 Apr
      • Re: Oracle , what else ?David Sparks24 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Glyn Astill24 Apr
          • Index time columns?Bryan Cantwell24 Apr
            • RE: Index time columns?Andrew Braithwaite27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake27 Apr