List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:José I. Merino Date:April 22 2009 8:35am
Subject:I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'
View as plain text
The main question is:

Will Oracle permits a cheaper DB in his portfolio with almost the same
reliability than his main and expensive DB?

Ok. MySQL is the main database in a wide 'open source' community. That
people never will bought Oracle to build a phpBB forum or to install Joomla,
but what happen with Flirk, Amazon.com, Digg, CNET, Craiglist, Nokia,
Wordpress, Wikipedia, YouTube, FaceBook, ... and other 'big fishs'? Will
they "invited" to buy Oracle?

Most of the end medium-small firms uses MySQL because know that "successful
cases" and they rely on MySQL. But what happens if those 'big fishs' abandon
MySQL and migrates to Oracle? Will the actual rely in a enterprise
environment maintains?

I'm sure that Oracle won't abandon MySQL, but will use this "influence" to
"invite" to that big end users to migrate to Oracle. I suppose that will
made them "an offer they can't refuse". First reducing the actual rate of
patches, slowing the developing of the connectors (.NET connector, ODBC,
J/Connector) and in a prudential time offering Oracle to a ridiculous part
of this prize and supporting them in the migration with a huge quantity of
hours in experts. But only to that 'big fishs'.

When there's no 'big fish' in the MySQL ocean, the CEOs in the small-medium
enterprise will think "No big project is using MySQL. I have doubts and fear
about using MySQL in my enterprise. I'll call to Oracle to paid a huge
quantity of money and all my doubts and fears will disappears".

And I think, the same strategy will use them with "Glass Fish"
(http://java.sun.com/javaee/community/glassfish/). Oracle has 2 JAVA EE
application servers: OAS (will be deprecated in short) and Weblogic.

I think in a few years MySQL will be only the database for phpBB and Joomla
and in 5 years MySQL will replace to "Oracle Personal Edition".

Thread
Sun bought by OracleAndy Shellam20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleKrishna Chandra Prajapati20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleAndy Smith20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by Oraclemos20 Apr
        • I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'José I .  Merino22 Apr
          • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Thomas Pundt22 Apr
            • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Arthur Fuller22 Apr
            • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Lin Chun22 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by Oraclemos20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleCurtis Maurand20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleArthur Fuller20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by OraclePeter Brawley20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by Oraclerussbucket21 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleArthur Fuller21 Apr
      • RE: Sun bought by OracleJoshua Gordon21 Apr
        • Two "COUNT"s in one queryNigel Peck21 Apr
          • Re: Two "COUNT"s in one queryPeter Brawley21 Apr
            • Re: Two "COUNT"s in one queryNigel Peck23 Apr
              • Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesNigel Peck30 Apr
                • Re: Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesPeter Brawley30 Apr
                  • Re: Totalling Counts done in Subqueriesnigel wood30 Apr
RE: Sun bought by OracleMichael.Coll-Barth20 Apr
Re: Sun bought by OracleEric Bergen20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleJohn Meyer20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleKaushal Shriyan20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by OracleJohn Meyer20 Apr
        • Re: Sun bought by OracleManish Gupta21 Apr
          • Re: Sun bought by OracleMoon's Father21 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleClaudio Nanni20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleMichael Backhaus20 Apr
Re: Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesNigel Peck30 Apr