List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andy Shellam Date:April 21 2009 9:36pm
Subject:Re: Oracle , what else ?
View as plain text
Hi,

> To see what will happen to MySQL take a look at how Oracle handled
> InnoDb. How many updates have they released since they purchased it? I
> really don't know so someone will need to check. Is Oracle is too big
> to make MySQL updates any kind of priority? It seems that the larger
> the company and the more products they have, the less interest they
> have in their lower revenue making products. I hope this is not the
> case with Oracle, but the updates in the next year will determine
> where MySQL is headed.

On a similar note, Oracle bought Sleepycat in February 2006 and hence
acquired the embedded BerkeleyDB database in the process.  In the 3
years since then I believe there has been two updates released to
BerkeleyDB.  Previous to the acquisition I was updating BerkeleyDB on my
servers roughly once every few months.

Personally (and I hope I'm wrong) I don't believe there's room in
Oracle's portfolio for two diverse RDBMSs, and I envisage them
re-branding MySQL as an Oracle open-source derivative which begins as
being the MySQL codebase but is slowly migrated toward Oracle's
engineering, to ease the transition for growing companies moving from
MySQL/Oracle open-source to the Oracle enterprise versions.

Having said that this is pure speculation, and only yesterday I read
something in the manual that a particular option was going to be
deprecated in MySQL 7 - we haven't even seen 6 in beta yet!  Like Mike
said, the next year or so will tell.

Thread
Oracle , what else ?Gilles MISSONNIER21 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Simon Connah21 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Martijn Tonies21 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake22 Apr
      • Re: Oracle , what else ?Glyn Astill23 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake23 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?mos21 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Andy Shellam21 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Yves Goergen23 Apr
    • RE: Oracle , what else ?Gabriel - IP Guys23 Apr
      • RE: Oracle , what else ?Janek Bogucki28 Apr
        • RE: Oracle , what else ?John Daisley28 Apr
          • RE: Oracle , what else ?mos28 Apr
      • RE: Oracle , what else ?Janek Bogucki28 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Martijn Tonies24 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake24 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?mos24 Apr
Re: Oracle , what else ?John Daisley22 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Arthur Fuller22 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?NĂ©stor22 Apr
      • Re: Oracle , what else ?mos22 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Krishna Chandra Prajapati22 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Martijn Tonies22 Apr
RE: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?David Sparks24 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Glyn Astill24 Apr
      • Re: Oracle , what else ?David Sparks24 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Glyn Astill24 Apr
          • Index time columns?Bryan Cantwell24 Apr
            • RE: Index time columns?Andrew Braithwaite27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake27 Apr