List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:April 21 2009 4:40pm
Subject:Re: Oracle , what else ?
View as plain text
At 08:06 AM 4/21/2009, Gilles MISSONNIER wrote:
>hello people,
>bad joke is not it ?
>
>After MySQL bought by the java maker,
>  and now Sun bought by Oracle,
>
>what are we gonna run as RDBMS ?

It seems like the little fish are getting eaten by the bigger fish.

I understand Microsoft is now going to buy Oracle.  :-)
(Sorry, just kidding)

re:MySQL. This is a smart move by Oracle because now they will have the
dominant database on the web. They can't sell Oracle to most web developers
so they need to keep MySQL alive. Whether they keep updating it is another
question. I am a little worried about MySQL enterprise because they will
likely hike the fees for that. They could  try and pressure the major MySQL
web sites like Wikipedia to switch to Oracle. I don't think this will work
since most websites are free and not cash driven so they don't have the
money or skill set to switch to Oracle. If they try and kill MySQL
enterprise, Oracle will get one very angry community after it and they
can't afford that.  The real question is whether they will let MySQL wither
and die by not providing updates for it?

To see what will happen to MySQL take a look at how Oracle handled InnoDb.
How many updates have they released since they purchased it? I really don't
know so someone will need to check. Is Oracle is too big to make MySQL
updates any kind of priority? It seems that the larger the company and the
more products they have, the less interest they have in their lower revenue
making products. I hope this is not the case with Oracle, but the updates
in the next year will determine where MySQL is headed.

Just one guy's opinion.

Mike

Thread
Oracle , what else ?Gilles MISSONNIER21 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Simon Connah21 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Martijn Tonies21 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake22 Apr
      • Re: Oracle , what else ?Glyn Astill23 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake23 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?mos21 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Andy Shellam21 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Yves Goergen23 Apr
    • RE: Oracle , what else ?Gabriel - IP Guys23 Apr
      • RE: Oracle , what else ?Janek Bogucki28 Apr
        • RE: Oracle , what else ?John Daisley28 Apr
          • RE: Oracle , what else ?mos28 Apr
      • RE: Oracle , what else ?Janek Bogucki28 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Martijn Tonies24 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake24 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?mos24 Apr
Re: Oracle , what else ?John Daisley22 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Arthur Fuller22 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?NĂ©stor22 Apr
      • Re: Oracle , what else ?mos22 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Krishna Chandra Prajapati22 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?Martijn Tonies22 Apr
RE: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle , what else ?David Sparks24 Apr
    • Re: Oracle , what else ?Glyn Astill24 Apr
      • Re: Oracle , what else ?David Sparks24 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Glyn Astill24 Apr
          • Index time columns?Bryan Cantwell24 Apr
            • RE: Index time columns?Andrew Braithwaite27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle , what else ?Joshua D. Drake27 Apr