List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:russbucket Date:April 21 2009 1:25pm
Subject:Re: Sun bought by Oracle
View as plain text

<curtis@stripped>
> wrote:
>
>> I figure that they'll either kill mysql or they'll limit the commnunity
>> version in ways that will make you purchase a commercial version if you
>> want
>> to continue to use it.  I figure there will be heavy migrations to open
>> source alternatives.
>>
>> --C
>>

>> Andy Shellam wrote:
>>
>>> I've just been made aware by a client that Oracle have purchased Sun
>>> Microsystems.  The article below on Sun's website mentions that
Oracle
>>> are committed to Linux and "other open platforms" and mentions the fact
>>> that Java touches practically every business system around.
>>>
>>> http://www.sun.com/third-party/global/oracle/index.jsp
>>>
>>> I wonder what Oracle's plans are when it comes to MySQL?  There is
no
>>> mention of MySQL in the above article.  Will it eventually come under
>>> the Oracle umbrella, much like BerkeleyDB did?
>>>

>> --

I know this is the MySQL list but there is another Sun product that this
effects and that is VirtualBox. I've used MySQL for years and hope Oracle
does not stop it, but you never know with Ellison encharge!

Just my 2 cents.
OpenSUSE 11.1 KDE 4.1.3,
Intel DX48BT2 Core 2 Dual E7200. 4 GB DDR III
GeForce 8400 GS, 320GB Disc (2)

-------
Russ

Thread
Sun bought by OracleAndy Shellam20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleKrishna Chandra Prajapati20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleAndy Smith20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by Oraclemos20 Apr
        • I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'José I .  Merino22 Apr
          • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Thomas Pundt22 Apr
            • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Arthur Fuller22 Apr
            • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Lin Chun22 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by Oraclemos20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleCurtis Maurand20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleArthur Fuller20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by OraclePeter Brawley20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by Oraclerussbucket21 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleArthur Fuller21 Apr
      • RE: Sun bought by OracleJoshua Gordon21 Apr
        • Two "COUNT"s in one queryNigel Peck21 Apr
          • Re: Two "COUNT"s in one queryPeter Brawley21 Apr
            • Re: Two "COUNT"s in one queryNigel Peck23 Apr
              • Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesNigel Peck30 Apr
                • Re: Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesPeter Brawley30 Apr
                  • Re: Totalling Counts done in Subqueriesnigel wood30 Apr
RE: Sun bought by OracleMichael.Coll-Barth20 Apr
Re: Sun bought by OracleEric Bergen20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleJohn Meyer20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleKaushal Shriyan20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by OracleJohn Meyer20 Apr
        • Re: Sun bought by OracleManish Gupta21 Apr
          • Re: Sun bought by OracleMoon's Father21 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleClaudio Nanni20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleMichael Backhaus20 Apr
Re: Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesNigel Peck30 Apr