List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Claudio Nanni Date:April 20 2009 6:16pm
Subject:Re: Sun bought by Oracle
View as plain text
We are talking of financial moves here.
I think nothing will be touched at least for first years, I don't see
product or services overlapping.
Oracle is one thing, MySQL another.
If they are so crazy to 'shut-down' MySQL, the second after there would
be the fork,
MySQL could be 'closed', but the community is and will always be open.
I, myself, I would stop using MySQL immediately and switch to drizzle or
any other fork, or any other open project.

Cheers
Claudio

Eric Bergen wrote:
> I don't think the purchase was about MySQL at all. I'm sure Oracle is
> far more interested in java, zfs, and solaris than they are MySQL.
> MySQL is just an added bonus that will go well with their acquisition
> of Innobase Oy a few years ago. Oracle didn't kill InnoDB and it's not
> very likely that they will kill MySQL. If you walk around the user
> conference this week you will see why it would be incredibly stupid
> try to try kill MySQL. Not that companies like Percona would let that
> happen anyway. After all it is GPL.
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:02 AM,
> <Michael.Coll-Barth@stripped> wrote:
>

>>> From: Peter Brawley [mailto:peter.brawley@stripped]
>>>
>>> An optimist wrote that. A pessimist, Larry Dignan at
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=16598&tag=nl.e539, wrote point six:
>>>
>>> "Oracle gets to kill MySQL. There's no way Ellison will let that
>>> open source database mess with the margins of his database.
>>> MySQL at best will wither from neglect. In any case, MySQL
>>> is MyToast."
>>>
>>> We ought to know who's right within half a year.
>>>

>> Is MySQL not Open Source?  Heck, I'd love to help with that.  We would
>> just have to change the name to something befitting the product.  MySQL
>> still tickles my MS warning alerts; My Pictures, My Music, My Videos,
>> etc.  How about 'GNO', pronounced like 'Know', stands for "GNO's Not
>> Oracle"?
>>

>> The information contained in this message and any attachment may be
>> proprietary, confidential, and privileged or subject to the work
>> product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure.  If the reader
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or
>> agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
>> recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
>> distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>> If you have received this communication in error, please notify me
>> immediately by replying to this message and deleting it and all
>> copies and backups thereof.  Thank you.
>>

>> --

Sun bought by OracleAndy Shellam20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleKrishna Chandra Prajapati20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleAndy Smith20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by Oraclemos20 Apr
        • I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'José I .  Merino22 Apr
          • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Thomas Pundt22 Apr
            • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Arthur Fuller22 Apr
            • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Lin Chun22 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by Oraclemos20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleCurtis Maurand20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleArthur Fuller20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by OraclePeter Brawley20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by Oraclerussbucket21 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleArthur Fuller21 Apr
      • RE: Sun bought by OracleJoshua Gordon21 Apr
        • Two "COUNT"s in one queryNigel Peck21 Apr
          • Re: Two "COUNT"s in one queryPeter Brawley21 Apr
            • Re: Two "COUNT"s in one queryNigel Peck23 Apr
              • Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesNigel Peck30 Apr
                • Re: Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesPeter Brawley30 Apr
                  • Re: Totalling Counts done in Subqueriesnigel wood30 Apr
RE: Sun bought by OracleMichael.Coll-Barth20 Apr
Re: Sun bought by OracleEric Bergen20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleJohn Meyer20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleKaushal Shriyan20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by OracleJohn Meyer20 Apr
        • Re: Sun bought by OracleManish Gupta21 Apr
          • Re: Sun bought by OracleMoon's Father21 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleClaudio Nanni20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleMichael Backhaus20 Apr
Re: Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesNigel Peck30 Apr