List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Bergen Date:April 20 2009 5:21pm
Subject:Re: Sun bought by Oracle
View as plain text
I don't think the purchase was about MySQL at all. I'm sure Oracle is
far more interested in java, zfs, and solaris than they are MySQL.
MySQL is just an added bonus that will go well with their acquisition
of Innobase Oy a few years ago. Oracle didn't kill InnoDB and it's not
very likely that they will kill MySQL. If you walk around the user
conference this week you will see why it would be incredibly stupid
try to try kill MySQL. Not that companies like Percona would let that
happen anyway. After all it is GPL.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:02 AM,
<Michael.Coll-Barth@stripped> wrote:

>> From: Peter Brawley [mailto:peter.brawley@stripped]
>>
>> An optimist wrote that. A pessimist, Larry Dignan at
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=16598&tag=nl.e539, wrote point six:
>>
>> "Oracle gets to kill MySQL. There's no way Ellison will let that
>> open source database mess with the margins of his database.
>> MySQL at best will wither from neglect. In any case, MySQL
>> is MyToast."
>>
>> We ought to know who's right within half a year.
>>

> Is MySQL not Open Source?  Heck, I'd love to help with that.  We would
> just have to change the name to something befitting the product.  MySQL
> still tickles my MS warning alerts; My Pictures, My Music, My Videos,
> etc.  How about 'GNO', pronounced like 'Know', stands for "GNO's Not
> Oracle"?
>

> The information contained in this message and any attachment may be
> proprietary, confidential, and privileged or subject to the work
> product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure.  If the reader
> of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or
> agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify me
> immediately by replying to this message and deleting it and all
> copies and backups thereof.  Thank you.

Eric Bergen
eric.bergen@stripped
http://www.provenscaling.com
Thread
Sun bought by OracleAndy Shellam20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleKrishna Chandra Prajapati20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleAndy Smith20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by Oraclemos20 Apr
        • I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'José I .  Merino22 Apr
          • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Thomas Pundt22 Apr
            • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Arthur Fuller22 Apr
            • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Lin Chun22 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by Oraclemos20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleCurtis Maurand20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleArthur Fuller20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by OraclePeter Brawley20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by Oraclerussbucket21 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleArthur Fuller21 Apr
      • RE: Sun bought by OracleJoshua Gordon21 Apr
        • Two "COUNT"s in one queryNigel Peck21 Apr
          • Re: Two "COUNT"s in one queryPeter Brawley21 Apr
            • Re: Two "COUNT"s in one queryNigel Peck23 Apr
              • Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesNigel Peck30 Apr
                • Re: Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesPeter Brawley30 Apr
                  • Re: Totalling Counts done in Subqueriesnigel wood30 Apr
RE: Sun bought by OracleMichael.Coll-Barth20 Apr
Re: Sun bought by OracleEric Bergen20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleJohn Meyer20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleKaushal Shriyan20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by OracleJohn Meyer20 Apr
        • Re: Sun bought by OracleManish Gupta21 Apr
          • Re: Sun bought by OracleMoon's Father21 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleClaudio Nanni20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleMichael Backhaus20 Apr
Re: Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesNigel Peck30 Apr