List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:April 20 2009 2:51pm
Subject:Re: Sun bought by Oracle
View as plain text
At 08:31 AM 4/20/2009, you wrote:
>Only time will tell what will happen, but I have read a few articles
>saying Oracle had been interested specifically in buying MySQL from
>Sun as it gives them an open source DB offering (which they dont have
>now right?), and that brings with it contact with potential customers
>for support or non-free solutions etc... However that was from the
>internet press so its all just rumours and supositions ;)
>
>cheers Andy.
>
>Quoting Krishna Chandra Prajapati <prajapatikc@stripped>:
>
>>Whats the future of 'MySQL' under Oracle ?

A lot depends on whether MySQL can make money for Oracle and not encroach
on their Oracle sales. Will they continue developing MySQL cluster as open
source? I hope so. But I worry about the fact that they have competing
products and they could fork MySQL into open source (community supported)
and their own maintained MySQL version like Borland did with Interbase and
Firebird. I think IBM would have been a much better partner than Oracle.

Mike

Thread
Sun bought by OracleAndy Shellam20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleKrishna Chandra Prajapati20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleAndy Smith20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by Oraclemos20 Apr
        • I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'José I .  Merino22 Apr
          • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Thomas Pundt22 Apr
            • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Arthur Fuller22 Apr
            • Re: I thin'k MySQL will be the 'Oracle Personal Edition'Lin Chun22 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by Oraclemos20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleCurtis Maurand20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleArthur Fuller20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by OraclePeter Brawley20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by Oraclerussbucket21 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleArthur Fuller21 Apr
      • RE: Sun bought by OracleJoshua Gordon21 Apr
        • Two "COUNT"s in one queryNigel Peck21 Apr
          • Re: Two "COUNT"s in one queryPeter Brawley21 Apr
            • Re: Two "COUNT"s in one queryNigel Peck23 Apr
              • Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesNigel Peck30 Apr
                • Re: Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesPeter Brawley30 Apr
                  • Re: Totalling Counts done in Subqueriesnigel wood30 Apr
RE: Sun bought by OracleMichael.Coll-Barth20 Apr
Re: Sun bought by OracleEric Bergen20 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleJohn Meyer20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleKaushal Shriyan20 Apr
      • Re: Sun bought by OracleJohn Meyer20 Apr
        • Re: Sun bought by OracleManish Gupta21 Apr
          • Re: Sun bought by OracleMoon's Father21 Apr
  • Re: Sun bought by OracleClaudio Nanni20 Apr
    • Re: Sun bought by OracleMichael Backhaus20 Apr
Re: Totalling Counts done in SubqueriesNigel Peck30 Apr