List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andy Shellam Date:April 20 2009 7:06am
Subject:Re: Need help with mysql prob
View as plain text
Hi,

abdulazeez alugo wrote:

>> Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 23:19:56 +0100
>> From: andy-lists@stripped
>> To: defatigue@stripped
>> CC: mysql@stripped
>> Subject: Re: Need help with mysql prob
>>
>> Hi Alugo,
>>
>>> Hi Andy,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your prompt response. However, since tbl1_id has an auto_increment
> value in tbl1, mysql is actually generating the values for it automatically.
>>>

>> Ah, I see your point. I'm guessing by your code you're using PHP? If
>> so call mysql_insert_id() after you've inserted your record into tbl1.
>> That will give you the ID of the auto increment column - see the note in
>> the below link about bigint columns if your data type is bigint.
>>
>> http://uk3.php.net/mysql_insert_id
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Andy
>>

> Yes I'm using PHP. Can it be something like
>
> function newPost_tbl1($id, $entry, $text)
>
> {
>
> $conn;
>
> $result= mysql_query("INSERT INTO tbl1 (tbl1_id, entrytitle, entrytext)
>
>                                              VALUES ('$id','$entry', $text)',
> $conn);
>
>                                             $tbl1_id = mysql_insert_id($conn);
>
> }

Yep that's about it.  You said that tbl1_id is an auto-increment column,
why are you including it in the insert query?  You should just need
entrytitle and entrytext, then $tbl1_id will be the value of the tbl1_id
field.

I hope you've just missed out everything on the $conn line just for
short-hand, because $conn needs to be a valid connection resource
(result from mysql_connect) before passing it to mysql_query.  Also on
your MySQL query line, you've started the insert command string with a
quote " but terminated it with a single apostrophe, this terminator
should also be a quote.  Your $text should also be enclosed with a
single apostrophe, and don't forget to clean your input ($entry and
$text) otherwise you'll be vulnerable to SQL injection and XSS attacks.

Andy
Thread
Need help with mysql probabdulazeez alugo19 Apr
  • Re: Need help with mysql probAndy Shellam19 Apr
    • RE: Need help with mysql probabdulazeez alugo20 Apr
      • Re: Need help with mysql probAndy Shellam20 Apr
        • RE: Need help with mysql probabdulazeez alugo20 Apr
          • Re: Need help with mysql probAndy Shellam20 Apr
            • RE: Need help with mysql probabdulazeez alugo20 Apr
              • Re: Need help with mysql probAndy Shellam20 Apr
                • RE: Need help with mysql probabdulazeez alugo20 Apr
  • Re: Need help with mysql probTom Nugent20 Apr