List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:April 14 2009 1:49am
Subject:Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores server
View as plain text
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 8:34 PM, David Sparks <dave@stripped> wrote:
>> Right now if you want a more scalable *current* version of
>> MySQL, you need to look to the Google patches, the Percona builds (and
>> Percona XtraDB, a fork of InnoDB), or OurDelta builds.
>
> Is there a webpage somewhere that compares and contrasts the above patchsets?
>
> I thought the Google patches were mostly in the OurDelta patchset?

Google and Percona started out by releasing patches.  Some of the
Percona patches are inspired/based/derived from Google's (or others in
some cases).  Much of the hardest work we've done is completely
original, though.

After a while, Percona started building binaries, recognizing that
customers don't want to apply patches, they want a tested build that
others are also using.  There's safety in numbers.  Some very large
installations are using the Percona binaries, though many of them
(who've sponsored some of the development) are very private about
their involvement in this; people don't want to tell what they are
doing operationally, especially if they're in a really large,
competitive industry.  So I can't name names -- but if you knew, you'd
be suitably impressed, I'm sure :-)

You can consider OurDelta as a downstream builder of Percona's builds.
 They combine our patches with some things like PBXT and the Sphinx
storage engine.  Our position is conservative: we want to modify the
vanilla MySQL as little as possible, or rather, only as much as needed
to solve critical problems NOW, to make risk-averse people
comfortable.  So we don't add in other things like alternative storage
engines.  OurDelta serves as a way to get prebuilt binaries that
include a lot of stuff our users would not want in the binary at all.

Most of the Google patches are not in ANY build, to the best of my
knowledge.  Google's modifications to the server are pretty large in
some cases.  When Percona has used selected parts of this, like
mirrored binary logs, we've tried to pull it out in bits and pieces.
Reviewing and understanding what Google has done is a lot of work, and
I don't know if anyone other than Google really does understand their
patches right now.

Baron

--
Baron Schwartz, Director of Consulting, Percona Inc.
Our Blog: http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/
Our Services: http://www.percona.com/services.html
Thread
MySQL runs on 16-cores serverMoon's Father10 Apr
  • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverUwe Kiewel10 Apr
    • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverWm Mussatto10 Apr
      • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverAndrew Garner10 Apr
    • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverMoon's Father11 Apr
      • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores servermos11 Apr
      • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverUwe Kiewel11 Apr
  • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores servermos10 Apr
    • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverAndy Smith11 Apr
      • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverBaron Schwartz11 Apr
        • Re: Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverKen Jacobs11 Apr
        • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverDavid Sparks14 Apr
          • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverBaron Schwartz14 Apr
      • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores servermos11 Apr
        • RE: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverJerry Schwartz13 Apr
          • RE: MySQL runs on 16-cores servermos13 Apr
            • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverBaron Schwartz13 Apr
              • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores servermos14 Apr
                • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverBaron Schwartz14 Apr
                  • RE: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverMark14 Apr
            • find records with only numbersEd Reed13 Apr
              • Re: find records with only numbersClaudio Nanni13 Apr
              • Re: find records with only numbersPinter Tibor13 Apr
                • Re: find records with only numbersClaudio Nanni13 Apr
            • RE: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverWm Mussatto13 Apr
    • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverMoon's Father16 Apr
  • RE: MySQL runs on 16-cores servergenie.japo15 Apr