List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:April 13 2009 6:55pm
Subject:RE: MySQL runs on 16-cores server
View as plain text
Jerry,

At 09:53 AM 4/13/2009, Jerry Schwartz wrote:
>Sorry for top-posting, but this is getting unwieldy.
>
>The problems with hardware in multiprocessor systems have been dealt with
>long since, assuming that Intel, AMD, et al have implemented the solutions.
>Ten years ago and more, I worked with machines capable of 128 processors and
>they seemed to work okay.

Well having a machine with 128 processors and actually getting MySQL to
take advantage of 128 processors is a different matter entirely.
MySQL does not scale well beyond 4 processors, at least not like PostgreSql
does. MySQL seems to hit a plateau rather quickly. If XtraDb's modified
Innodb plugin scales better, then fine.  But I haven't seen any benchmarks
showing the speed improvements relative to the number of processors used
and is something I'd really like to see.

>Of course, there was a price difference. :<)
>
>As others said, the major bottlenecks are likely to be internal (to the DB)
>locking and disk access speed.

Of course. When it comes to MySQL, I would invest more money into more
memory and fast SSD drives rather than more CPU's. You'll get a bigger bang
for the buck. :)

Mike

>Regards,
>
>Jerry Schwartz
>The Infoshop by Global Information Incorporated
>195 Farmington Ave.
>Farmington, CT 06032
>
>860.674.8796 / FAX: 860.674.8341
>
>www.the-infoshop.com
>www.giiexpress.com
>www.etudes-marche.com

Thread
MySQL runs on 16-cores serverMoon's Father10 Apr
  • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverUwe Kiewel10 Apr
    • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverWm Mussatto10 Apr
      • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverAndrew Garner10 Apr
    • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverMoon's Father11 Apr
      • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores servermos11 Apr
      • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverUwe Kiewel11 Apr
  • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores servermos10 Apr
    • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverAndy Smith11 Apr
      • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverBaron Schwartz11 Apr
        • Re: Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverKen Jacobs11 Apr
        • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverDavid Sparks14 Apr
          • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverBaron Schwartz14 Apr
      • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores servermos11 Apr
        • RE: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverJerry Schwartz13 Apr
          • RE: MySQL runs on 16-cores servermos13 Apr
            • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverBaron Schwartz13 Apr
              • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores servermos14 Apr
                • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverBaron Schwartz14 Apr
                  • RE: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverMark14 Apr
            • find records with only numbersEd Reed13 Apr
              • Re: find records with only numbersClaudio Nanni13 Apr
              • Re: find records with only numbersPinter Tibor13 Apr
                • Re: find records with only numbersClaudio Nanni13 Apr
            • RE: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverWm Mussatto13 Apr
    • Re: MySQL runs on 16-cores serverMoon's Father16 Apr
  • RE: MySQL runs on 16-cores servergenie.japo15 Apr