List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Virgilio Quilario Date:April 1 2009 12:43pm
Subject:Re: MySQL - facts
View as plain text
> Need some facts for a Report ...
> For a hypothetical Kitchen Company's shopping Catalogue.
>  a.. What advantages does a database have over flat-file systems ?
great advantage when processing large amounts of data.

>  b.. Are there any disadvantages in switching to a database solution ?
database systems would contend for RAM when run on same machine as the
web server.

>  c.. What is MySQL,  and how does it relate to ASP, Javascript/VBscript and
> flat-files ?
it is a database system used to hold and manage data in a relational manner.

>  d.. Are there any alternatives to MySQL ?
InterBase, Firebird but MySQL is preferred by many

have a look at my demo site for Virtuemart Product Slideshow
http://joomla.jampmark.com/

it is built using Joomla CMS with Virtuemart Shopping cart component.
http://www.joomla.org
http://www.virtuemart.net

they are free software and easy to install.

virgil
http://www.jampmark.com
Thread
MySQL - factsBobSharp1 Apr
  • Re: MySQL - factsMichael Dykman1 Apr
  • Re: MySQL - factsVirgilio Quilario1 Apr