List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Claudio Nanni Date:March 29 2009 2:19pm
Subject:Re: IN vs. OR on performance
View as plain text
An explain of the two statements yields the same plan,
anybody knows if they are actually translated in the same plan?

Claudio

Ian P. Christian wrote:
> 2009/3/29 Oscar <ro4tub@stripped>:
>
>> Hi all-
>>
>> I want to know what the difference between IN and OR is under the hood.
>>
>> select * from dummy_table where id in (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7);
>>
>> select * from dummy_table where id=2 or id=3 or id=4 or id=5 or id=6 or
>> id=7;
>>

> I've have thought once the query is compiled, they are the same. What
> might cause a difference in performance is doing  id > 2 and id <= 7.
>
> Test it on a large dataset and let us know :)

Thread
IN vs. OR on performanceOscar29 Mar
  • Re: IN vs. OR on performanceIan P. Christian29 Mar
    • RE: IN vs. OR on performanceMartin Gainty29 Mar
    • Re: IN vs. OR on performanceClaudio Nanni29 Mar
      • Re: IN vs. OR on performanceBaron Schwartz31 Mar