List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jimmy Guerrero Date:March 24 2009 2:31pm
Subject:Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?
View as plain text
Forgot to post the URL in the event you are interested:

http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/web-seminars/display-306.html

-- Jimmy

Jimmy Guerrero wrote:
> Hello,
>
> One additional note in regards to learning more about the current state
> of MySQL Proxy and connecting with Proxy developers...
>
> Check out the "Simulating Workload with MySQL Proxy" webinar on April 2,
> with Giuseppe Maxia, MySQL Community Lead and Diego Medina, Quality
> Assurance Engineer @ Sun who will be talking about Proxy in general, but
> also some advanced topics.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Jimmy
>
> Mark Matthews wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 24, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Claudio Nanni wrote:
>>
>>> Question:
>>>

>> Hello Claudio,
>>
>>> my company tried the mysql-proxy about one year ago(may be more) but
>>> could
>>> not use it
>>>
>>> for not being multithreaded. They say they spoke to the 'mysql-proxy'
>>> developer.
>>>
>>> Is this still true? Are there any limitation on using mysql proxy on
>>> a high
>>> load production server?
>>
>> It's still not multi-threaded, but work is progressing in this area, see:
>>
>> https://lists.launchpad.net/mysql-proxy-discuss/msg00041.html
>>
>> There are people using it on high-load production servers, for various
>> flavors of "high load". How much impact *any* proxy will have depends
>> a lot on the type of workload you run through it, and what you do with
>> the data while it's in the proxy itself, since what's going to hurt
>> you performance-wise is directly related to latency, caused by the
>> extra network "hop", and anything else you do that delays the data
>> being forwarded.
>>

>>> Will it be completely(almost) transparent?
>>
>> Once again, that depends on what you do to the data flowing through
>> it. The only major non-transparent part of the proxy is the
>> permissions system, in that clients connecting through the proxy will
>> always *appear* to be connecting *from* the proxy from mysqld's point
>> of view, since there is no way to "forward" the client address to
>> mysqld itself.
>>
>> For proxy-related questions, you'll probably get more detailed,
>> quicker responses if you join the launchpad project's mailing list at:
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/~mysql-proxy-discuss
>>
>> If you're considering using mysql-proxy, I highly recommend tracking
>> the project via the mailing list and staying in touch with the
>> developers and the community, to both get a better idea if it's going
>> to work for your situation in it's current (and always changing)
>> state, and also to provide input into the direction of the developers.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>>     -Mark

Thread
if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Moon's Father24 Mar
  • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Baron Schwartz24 Mar
    • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Claudio Nanni24 Mar
      • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Mark Matthews24 Mar
        • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Jimmy Guerrero24 Mar