List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jimmy Guerrero Date:March 24 2009 2:30pm
Subject:Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?
View as plain text
Hello,

One additional note in regards to learning more about the current state of MySQL Proxy and
connecting with Proxy developers...

Check out the "Simulating Workload with MySQL Proxy" webinar on April 2, with Giuseppe
Maxia, MySQL Community Lead and Diego
Medina, Quality Assurance Engineer @ Sun who will be talking about Proxy in general, but
also some advanced topics.

Thanks,

-- Jimmy

Mark Matthews wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Claudio Nanni wrote:
>
>> Question:
>>

> Hello Claudio,
>
>> my company tried the mysql-proxy about one year ago(may be more) but
>> could
>> not use it
>>
>> for not being multithreaded. They say they spoke to the 'mysql-proxy'
>> developer.
>>
>> Is this still true? Are there any limitation on using mysql proxy on a
>> high
>> load production server?
>
> It's still not multi-threaded, but work is progressing in this area, see:
>
> https://lists.launchpad.net/mysql-proxy-discuss/msg00041.html
>
> There are people using it on high-load production servers, for various
> flavors of "high load". How much impact *any* proxy will have depends a
> lot on the type of workload you run through it, and what you do with the
> data while it's in the proxy itself, since what's going to hurt you
> performance-wise is directly related to latency, caused by the extra
> network "hop", and anything else you do that delays the data being
> forwarded.
>

>> Will it be completely(almost) transparent?
>
> Once again, that depends on what you do to the data flowing through it.
> The only major non-transparent part of the proxy is the permissions
> system, in that clients connecting through the proxy will always
> *appear* to be connecting *from* the proxy from mysqld's point of view,
> since there is no way to "forward" the client address to mysqld itself.
>
> For proxy-related questions, you'll probably get more detailed, quicker
>
> https://launchpad.net/~mysql-proxy-discuss
>
> If you're considering using mysql-proxy, I highly recommend tracking the
> project via the mailing list and staying in touch with the developers
> and the community, to both get a better idea if it's going to work for
> your situation in it's current (and always changing) state, and also to
> provide input into the direction of the developers.
>
> Best regards,
>
>     -Mark
Thread
if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Moon's Father24 Mar
  • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Baron Schwartz24 Mar
    • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Claudio Nanni24 Mar
      • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Mark Matthews24 Mar
        • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Jimmy Guerrero24 Mar