List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Matthews Date:March 24 2009 1:48pm
Subject:Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?
View as plain text
On Mar 24, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Claudio Nanni wrote:

> Question:

Hello Claudio,

> my company tried the mysql-proxy about one year ago(may be more) but
> could
> not use it
>
> for not being multithreaded. They say they spoke to the 'mysql-proxy'
> developer.
>
> Is this still true? Are there any limitation on using mysql proxy on
> a high
> load production server?

It's still not multi-threaded, but work is progressing in this area,
see:

https://lists.launchpad.net/mysql-proxy-discuss/msg00041.html

There are people using it on high-load production servers, for various
flavors of "high load". How much impact *any* proxy will have depends
a lot on the type of workload you run through it, and what you do with
the data while it's in the proxy itself, since what's going to hurt
you performance-wise is directly related to latency, caused by the
extra network "hop", and anything else you do that delays the data
being forwarded.

> Will it be completely(almost) transparent?

Once again, that depends on what you do to the data flowing through
it. The only major non-transparent part of the proxy is the
permissions system, in that clients connecting through the proxy will
always *appear* to be connecting *from* the proxy from mysqld's point
of view, since there is no way to "forward" the client address to
mysqld itself.

For proxy-related questions, you'll probably get more detailed,
quicker responses if you join the launchpad project's mailing list at:

https://launchpad.net/~mysql-proxy-discuss

If you're considering using mysql-proxy, I highly recommend tracking
the project via the mailing list and staying in touch with the
developers and the community, to both get a better idea if it's going
to work for your situation in it's current (and always changing)
state, and also to provide input into the direction of the developers.

Best regards,

	-Mark
--
Mark Matthews, Architect - Enterprise Tools
MySQL @ Sun Microsystems, Inc., http://www.sun.com/mysql/

Thread
if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Moon's Father24 Mar
  • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Baron Schwartz24 Mar
    • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Claudio Nanni24 Mar
      • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Mark Matthews24 Mar
        • Re: if there're a tool which can replace mysql-proxy?Jimmy Guerrero24 Mar