List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Craig Dunn Date:March 24 2009 1:38pm
Subject:Re: Upgrade large databases from 4.1 to 5.1
View as plain text
Baron Schwartz wrote:
> If you can't take downtime, I'd go the slave route.
>
> You should certainly test your application to make sure 5.1's
> differences (data types, syntax, etc) don't cause problems.  Otherwise
> you're risking getting badly stuck and having to downgrade to 4.1
> again in a crisis.
>
> If you dump and reload, you don't need to go to 5.0 first.  That is
> only for in-place upgrades with mysql_upgrade, which I would not do
> anyway because of the file format changes.  I would dump and reload.

Sorry I wasn't very clear there - testing will all be done in a QA
environment before anything is cut over, what I'm after is a way of
switching from 4.1 to 5.1 as quickly as possible when we come to do the
live stuff.   Looks like replication may work from what you are saying.

Cheers

Craig

Thread
Upgrade large databases from 4.1 to 5.1Craig Dunn24 Mar
  • Re: Upgrade large databases from 4.1 to 5.1Baron Schwartz24 Mar
    • Re: Upgrade large databases from 4.1 to 5.1Craig Dunn24 Mar
      • Re: Upgrade large databases from 4.1 to 5.1Michael Dykman24 Mar