List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Craig Dunn Date:March 24 2009 11:44am
Subject:Upgrade large databases from 4.1 to 5.1
View as plain text

Hi All,

I need to migrate a large (30G) database from 4.1 to 5.1 on a live
system that cannot afford a large amount of downtime.  The official
method (copy files, run mysql_upgrade...etc) is looking like it will
take forever, particularly since I need to move it 5.0 before 5.1.  How
do people normally manage this in a high availability environment?

One idea being floated is to set up slave running 5.1 to replicate off
4.1 and then cut it over to being the master when we're ready to
migrate... is this feasable or dangerous?

Anyone else who's dealt with this kind of migration before have any
other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Thread
Upgrade large databases from 4.1 to 5.1Craig Dunn24 Mar
  • Re: Upgrade large databases from 4.1 to 5.1Baron Schwartz24 Mar
    • Re: Upgrade large databases from 4.1 to 5.1Craig Dunn24 Mar
      • Re: Upgrade large databases from 4.1 to 5.1Michael Dykman24 Mar